A bored kid can be a dangerous kid! Although allowing your kid to be bored is encouraged in order to allow them to discover new things, why not steer them in the direction of interesting new hobbies instead of leaving them to their own devices?
These little humans need constant stimulation. It’s how they grow into intelligent adults with critical thinking abilities. But choosing the right hobbies for them is important and it’s something you can help with.
Here are the best hobbies for kids and how to teach them the right way.
Physical activity is an excellent way for kids to develop hand-eye coordination, learn the value of teamwork, and burn off excess energy. Teaching your kid a new sport helps to encourage a healthy lifestyle from the start. You don’t need to spend a lot to start, either.
Wondering what sport to teach them? Here are some ideas.
- Golf: Excellent for strategic thinking, hand-eye coordination, and can be played indoors or outdoors.
- Gymnastics/Karate: Teaches control over one’s body and focus.
- Soccer/Basketball/Baseball: Instills the value of teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Swimming/Biking/Jumping Rope: Casual fun that can be had by all ages.
Arts & Crafts
Some kids enjoy creative pursuits more than physical activity. There are many ways to stimulate your kid’s minds and keep them busy with arts and crafts. The best thing is that there’s usually an end product, so they can see the fruits of their labor!
Here are some fun ideas to teach your child.
- Origami: All you need is paper and creativity!
- Art: Coloring, drawing, stenciling, and similar things are ideal for calming anxious kids.
- Beading: Precise work that requires concentration and good motor skills.
- Building: Woodwork, model airplanes, and so on. Needs patience!
If your kid is scientifically-minded, feed their curiosity by encouraging them to pick up a sciency hobby! This is a great way to educate your child while they’re enjoying themselves. The best way to teach is through fun!
These hobbies have a wide range, and can include things like:
- Robotics kits
- Experiment kits
- Gardening sets
- Animal and bird-related items
- Make Your Own… kits
Games can be an excellent hobby that also facilitates family bonding time. Some games focus on fun and laughter, which is a wonderful thing for all kids to have in their lives! Others incorporate a bit of critical thinking.
Here are some fantastic game ideas:
- Scavenger Hunt: A game that includes a bit of physical activity and working things out!
- Charades: Fun and laughter for the whole family.
- Chess: Excellent to develop strategic thinking skills.
- Clue: Develops critical thinking skills while having fun.
How to Teach Your Kid
Let Them Choose
You know your kid and it can be tempting to pick a hobby for them. But they have minds of their own. Let your kid choose whatever hobby they’d like to try.
Lead By Example
Doing the activity with your child is the best way to teach them. Whether it’s beading or basketball, show your kid how it’s done and let them copy you.
Help Them Practice
Encourage your child! Be supportive but gentle. Take opportunities to help them practice whatever hobby they’ve chosen. But when they start to get into it, stand back and let them do their thing, encouraging them all the way.
Whatever your kid’s personality, there should be at least a few things on this list they’d enjoy! Take some time to introduce your kids to things that stimulate them and build smart, strategic thinking.
You may be surprised at how much these younger days’ hobbies can influence your kids as they grow up!